Hemangioma on Nose - Page 4 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 03-03-2010, 12:36 AM

Apparently I was told at Sick Kids that they thought that most H's go away on their own and then if they don't, then they use propranolol. However, from what I've read it does seem awful late to be starting at the age of 2 and I wonder if it will work as well.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:15 AM

You can email Children's Hospital in Arkansas and send them pics and they will email you back what they recommend for free. Their website is birthmarks.org. They responded the next day after I email them. They're great.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:40 PM

I agree... get second, third opinions.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:33 AM

Default 1 week after 2nd laser treatment

It's been one week since our daughter's second laser treatment. It's healing up good and not bothering her.

We're still not entirely sure how we feel about the laser. So far it seems to be containing the hemangioma but not making it go away. Dr. Delfanian thinks that it would be much larger by now if we had not done the treatments, and we do tend to agree with that, but the fact that there is no solid visible improvement makes us unsure of whether or not we want to continue doing this indefinitely. At least as the only method of treatment. We're still contemplating Propranolol.

We're looking at another laser treatment in about two weeks and will probably make a decision at that point.

In the meantime Ouest just goes on as if nothing is wrong with her nose at all and has no idea of the worry her mom and I feel daily over this. The beauty of babies huh?

All the best.

Pat
www.bumfuzzle.com
Old 03-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Administrator

She looks GREAT!!

Missy
Old 03-10-2010, 10:09 PM

well I hope I am not too late on giving you more info on this. Well my daughter is now 3 years of age and when she was born she had this faded out red freckly beneath her eye. And as just a few months passed it did grow very big. In fact when she was 5 months old she had her first laser procedure done. They had stuck a laser to "burn" it to in a way suck out what was there to shrink it. The doctor told me that he did not want to remove it until it had got to its biggest. and usually they shrink between her age of 2-5 years of age. It was not too bad and now that she is 3, it has shrunk a lot!! So if it does not completely go away before she is 5 years old the doctor is going to remove it so that she doesnt get teased in school! good luck! oh, and they say it does not hurt, she says it doesnt hurt, and we never had to deal with it bleeding or any other problems.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:37 PM

Default 2 weeks after 2nd laser treatment

It's been two weeks since Ouest's second laser treatment. The coloring looks really good. The size of the lump of the deeper light purple area hasn't improved a whole lot yet however.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:43 AM

The update for us is that we did get a referral to Dr.Pope at sick kids for my second daughter who has a possible nasal H. The bad news--it is in Sept! I am going to call to see if I can get on a waiting list to get in sooner.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:43 AM

Oh and bumfuzzle- your baby is ADORABLE!
Old 03-20-2010, 09:47 PM

We started my daughter at 2 months on propanolol and are very pleased with the result. Our doctors are too. It made the purple go away and all we see now is red. The doctors say if the red does not go away they can zap it with a lazer but they dont like to do that till 1 year old. She has almost been on it a month now.