Midline and scabbing with pics - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 05-07-2010, 03:49 AM

Default Midline and scabbing with pics

I took my almost 3 month old to ped. derm. a week ago for the scabbing. He was more concerned about the location. He was 90% sure not on spine but wants an MRI when she is 4 months. I have a friend at a children's hospital that showed pics to 3 radiologists and they all seem to think it is not on spine.
Wondering what others here think and also think about the scabbing. Really hoping not ulcerating. The first 4 are 2 days ago and the last 5 are today.

Here is link to my google picassa web album.

Thanks for any input!!
http://picasaweb.google.com/leahcolepictures/Birthmark#

Last edited by leahcole : 05-07-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Administrator

I hope it is not ulcerating also. It looks just a little gray... I hope that's a sign of involution instead.

If you can be on the safe side and go for the MRI, I would. I wouldn't rely on someone just looking at it.

And, welcome!!

Missy
Old 05-16-2010, 11:38 PM

Hi,
My daughter had a large hemangioma in the center of her forehead and it often took a similar appearance to your daughter's. It would get kind of gray/black and saggy and bled once or twice. After that it seemed to scab and heal back over. My little girl's hemangioma was removed at 13 months so I am not sure of the long-term effects of this scabbing process, but I know it did not seem harmful or painful to her at the time.
I hope you have received more information and feel more comfortable with your little one's situation. If I can help in any way please let me know.
Best wishes,
Rory
Old 05-18-2010, 01:49 PM

I think that having the MRI would be best. My son had one at 6 months and another at 18 months of age. It made for a long & stressful day but in the end I was glad to know for sure what was going on inside his little body. He had a nasal tip h and had cysts on his brain before being born so the doctors were doing the MRI to rule out PHACES.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:06 AM

Those pictures look almost identical to my 5 month old. She has a H on her right forearm just below her elbow. The complete center of it is 1 big scab. If we bump etc she turns blue screaming in pain. All the doctors we have seen either say wait and see or no nothing about them. We have another appointment with our pediatriction in a month or so. Hopefully the scabbing means it will heal. Because its on her arm Im not too worried about looks etc but more about the pain and distress it gives her.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Default where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan80 View Post
Those pictures look almost identical to my 5 month old. She has a H on her right forearm just below her elbow. The complete center of it is 1 big scab. If we bump etc she turns blue screaming in pain. All the doctors we have seen either say wait and see or no nothing about them. We have another appointment with our pediatriction in a month or so. Hopefully the scabbing means it will heal. Because its on her arm Im not too worried about looks etc but more about the pain and distress it gives her.
Where are you located? If your daughter's hemangioma looks like that and is causing her such pain, you need to see someone who specializes in birthmark treatments.

Missy
Old 06-01-2010, 05:19 AM

In Australia / Adelaide
Old 06-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Dr David Lord
Radiology Department
Vascular Birthmarks Program
Childrens Hospital Westmead
Locked Bag 4001
Westmead NSW 2145
Sydney Australia
http://www.chw.edu.au/site/directory...birthmarks.htm

Dr. Tony Moore
Adelaido Plastic Surg. Assoc.
Memorial Hospital North Adelaide,
S. Australia 8267-1800

Dr Philip Bekhor
Director, Laser Unit
Royal Children's Hospital
Melbourne, Australia
and
Laser Dermatology
503 Elgar Rd
Box Hill, Melbourne
Victoria
Phone 61 3 9890 1844
www.laserdermatology.com.au
Old 06-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Give a call to one or all of the above and see if you can get an appointment.

Missy
Old 06-03-2010, 09:39 PM

That looks the exact same as my daughter when it began ulcerating. It got a black scab in the middle and continued to breakdown the birthmark all around it.