What to expect - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 05-19-2010, 03:10 PM

Default What to expect

My 18 month old daughter just had her first laser treatment for a PWS on the left side of her face (about 2 in X 1 in or so). It looks awful! I knew it would bruise, but it is darker than expected. But that is ok - I know it will fade, etc.

What I am wondering is two things: (1) what to expect in terms of the next couple of months. I know they say 10 days or so for the purple to fade - was that your experience? Does it ever go away faster? Should I expect to see much change after this first treatment?
(2) What to expect in terms of longevity of treatment. Has anyone had just a few treatments and been satisfied (they said prob 5 treatments, but said yesterday maybe fewer for her...anyone do 3 or so and feel satisfied?)? And I am reading on here and it sounds like a lot of people seem to do A LOT of treatments - this might be because of the severity of the birthmark. My daughter's is fairly small, as noted above. But should I expect to do several treatments a year, or do many people just need a single maintenance treatement every year or so?

Thanks so much! Our story is similar to some others that I read on here (drs told us it was a stork bite and would fade and finally took her to a dermatologist who told us it was a PWS - I wish I had known earlier and could have done treatment as an infant). We WERE able to do treatment without anesthesia, however - just a numbing cream. That was a huge relief for me.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Administrator

I just wanted to say hi and welcome. Others will come along soon and answer your questions!

With such a small birthmark, I wouldn't think many treatments would be needed. I bet you would only need maintenance treatments once a year, to avoid cobbles and blebs later.

And great news on the anesthesia!! Best possible scenario there. I know you may feel that you are behind in a treatment schedule, but the truth is... you're right on time!!

Missy
Old 05-21-2010, 01:45 AM

Thanks for the feedback! It seems to be going ok so far - brusing is fading some, altho still pretty dark.

I know we started treatment early - it just still feels like we are behind, when I know we could have started so much earlier and likely been done by now!
Old 06-07-2010, 01:42 PM

Just wanted to write and say you are not alone. My son will start treatment soon. He is 5 months old with pws on left food, leg, buttocks and lower back. Can you tell me, did your child seem to have pain during the procedure? The doctor said my son would get some type of cream first to provide numbing.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:41 PM

Hi, Talans Mommy. No, she did not seem to have pain during the procedure. We also used the numbing cream. She cried during it, but was upset from being restrained vs. from pain (didn't flinch or seem bothered by the laser, and never once touched it or seemed sensitive afterward). The procedure was very fast - it sounds like you have more area to cover, so it might take a little longer, but her treatment took maybe 30 secs. So far, we are pleased with the first results. It took about 10 days before the purple bruising seemed gone. Then we have seen gradual clearing occurring since then - the area that looks basically clear is getting bigger and bigger (it has now been three weeks). We are hoping that maybe the last segments of bright red of the birthmark will also fade a lot before the next treatment, but I am not sure how likely that is... Either way, we are excited at the change that has occurred so far! And how easy the procedure was. I would imagine it would be even easier with a 5 month old (vs a strong, squirmy 18 month old!).

Good luck to you!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:54 AM

Default first treatments

Good morning. Our son did the first seven months of treatment here in Italy a month ago but I do not see good results. someone can tell us if and 'for the type of laser? spotted from above his left eye to his mouth and we hope to be able to solve. there are other people who know how to say how many treatments have done and the results. all this because we think his future...
Old 10-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Rogercarlesso,

Do you know what type of laser was used on your son and what setting was used during those treatments?

Missy
Old 10-05-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy View Post
Rogercarlesso,

Do you know what type of laser was used on your son and what setting was used during those treatments?

Missy
we do not know what type of laser was used. so important? and setting do you mean?

Roger
Old 10-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Administrator

The type of laser and setting used on it may be important, yes.

Missy
Old 10-06-2010, 03:35 AM

Hello!
You're probably seeing purpura, the dark purple bruise from the laser. It can be startling at first, but it goes away quickly : )
For me the amount of purpura depends on the setting of the laser. I'm being treated with a VBeam Perfecta, and my old doctor used 3 joules- which resulted in some purpura but not much. My new doc is using over twice that power (he varies it depending on the area he's treating), and sometimes the entire circles turn deep purple. The more purpura, the longer it takes to go away. Sometimes it's gone well before 10 days after treatment. I highly recommend taking daily pictures so you can compare treatments.

You may see a big result after the first treatment, and you may not. I have a fairly extensive PWS, and while my hand has a very minimal response to each treatment, some areas of my arm have been virtually cleared of the PWS after 2 high-power treatments with the Perfecta.

In terms of the number of treatments, bear in mind that technology's changed since many of us were kids. One treatment of the Perfecta has a much bigger impact than a few treatments I had as a kid did.

It's great you were able to avoid general anesthesia!