is treatment worthwhile??? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 07-17-2010, 12:56 PM

Default is treatment worthwhile???

i have got a 3month old son who was born with a PWS covering most of the left side of his face.... i have been to see the dermatologist at the laser clinic and they can start laser when he is a year old.....i am just wondering whether it is worth while putting him through it all because i have been told it is not guaranteed to work and even if it does it can still come back at a later date....i would just like to hear from people who have had the laser, good and bad experiences, so i can get a better picture of whether it would be beneficial to my son .
Old 07-17-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keznharvey View Post
i have got a 3month old son who was born with a PWS covering most of the left side of his face.... i have been to see the dermatologist at the laser clinic and they can start laser when he is a year old.....i am just wondering whether it is worth while putting him through it all because i have been told it is not guaranteed to work and even if it does it can still come back at a later date....i would just like to hear from people who have had the laser, good and bad experiences, so i can get a better picture of whether it would be beneficial to my son .
that is my main questioning too. To me doctors said, that the child should begin at 2 years....they said it is the treat of general anestesia, but on the other hand i have heard that there is a corelation between early treatment and success.In the You tube, i found some videos, when they started wery eraly, at 4 months....My little boy is 10 days old now, and he has also PWS over half of his left side of the face. I think face is the most delicate part of the body to live with this....and i will do what i can, even i would risk a bit, if not too much, if it is really worth to begin early....but I also do not have the answer to that question....i am asking people the same as You in your post....
Old 07-17-2010, 03:48 PM

yeah he will have to go under a general anesthetic, but the hospital i am under in england said they can do that from 1 years old. it doesn't bother me his birthmark cos i don't even see it when i look at him anymore, but i have had small minded comments from some people, it makes you want to punch them lol!! i have got a 'don't give a stuff' attitude as to what other people think so hopefully i can bring my son up to be the same...it just hurts me to think he will get stared at for the rest of his life and i don't want him to end up insecure...
Old 07-19-2010, 12:16 AM

i have a large PWS on the left side of my face, entire chin bottom lip, left side of my head, throat and chest. Left ear. patch on my back.

the PWS will grow. Mine has been untreated an has grown on my face an i have problems

my opinion ? treat it. i definitely wish mine could of been treated.

Yes i hope your son has your same attitude regardless of what you decide. He may or may not be insecure. you can only take it as it comes and do your best.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:17 PM

thanks for your comment. i have read up about them and read about it growing and getting growths on it in later life. i also saw a woman on this morning with a large growth on her lip. i asked the doctor if it wasn't treated would it grow or get growths. he said no but tbh he didn't really seem to know much about PWS at all. one of the main things that is putting me off treatment is that the hospital he has to have it done at looks really scruffy and dirty.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:48 PM

it may be a good idea to send some pics to the experts on this website if you haven't already. As a parent you wanna know every angle right ? keep researching. yes there are some doctors that are completely clueless. Not their fault.

the most important thing is his health. I am not a parent but in this day an age children shouldn't have to go threw things when there is an alternative unless it is an extreme dangerous for their health to proceed
Old 08-18-2010, 06:09 PM

Treatment would DEFINITELY be worthwhile, I was born with a PWS on my face surrounding my eye, and I've been receiving treatments since I was only a few months old. in the past 16 years, the treatments have been so effective that it's barely noticeable now. it might hurt, seeing as your son is so young, but in the long run it is definitely worth it