Canadians going to USA for treatment - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 07-23-2010, 01:53 AM

Question Canadians going to USA for treatment

are there any Canadians who have went to the USA for Hemangioma treatments or surgery? We really want Dr. Levitin to do our son's surgery however we're not sure how to get the Canadian Heath Care to help cover the cost. If you have done this, what was the process and what was your experience like?
Thanks!!
Amanda
Old 07-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Administrator

I know of a lot of Canadians who come to the US for care, but I have yet to hear of one who got the Canadian Health Care to pay for any of it. There may be someone, but I have never heard of it.

Hopefully, I'm wrong. Perhaps another parent can prove it! Let's hope so!

Missy
Old 07-25-2010, 02:45 AM

Sorry adnama, I too have yet to hear of the costs being covered by the gov't. Not to say it's not worth trying to get it covered. You probably would need a doctor in Canada to agree that your son needs the surgery and that their is no surgeon in Canada to do the surgery. I had to go to the US just to get a doctor to prescribe propranolol for my son. Sorry to dampen your hopes.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:55 PM

We also went to the US for laser treatment for our daughter and it wasn't covered by the government's health insurance plan - we had to pay out of pocket. But it's the best money we ever spent. I'm not sure what your situation is, but if you can't find anyone in Canada who can treat your baby, I highly recommend you go to the US. Dr. Levitin was one of the doctor's that we spoke to directly when we were trying to figure out what to do. He was so helpful and supportive - even though, he knew we would never be able to go to him for treatment (he's in California, we live in Ontario). He called me up one day completely out of the blue to see if we had made any progress in finding someone to help treat us. I don't think you will ever, ever, ever find a doctor in Canada like that!

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2010, 02:19 PM

Hi everyone,
I know our chances are slim, but I'm seeing our family Doctor today and I'm going to ask (beg) her to write a letter to OHIP. It's worth a shot!
Newmom, I also had Dr. Levitin give us a call. You can tell even over the phone that he genuinely cares and wants to help. We are going to do everything we can to get our son to him for his surgery (you can't blame a parent for wanting the best for their child). The Doctors that we have dealt with in Ontario say he does need surgery but are very reluctant to do anything about it now. Whereas Dr. Levitin is saying now is the time and I agree with him. He needs surgery regardless so why not remove it before he start developing psychosocial issues and more bleeding episodes. I’ll let you know how we make out!
Newmom, where about in Ontario are you from? I’m from Lucknow.
Thanks for the responses everyone, good luck are your journeys too!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know how the appointment goes today. I'm always interested to see how things develop.

Dr Levitin rocks, does he not?

Missy
Old 07-27-2010, 04:22 PM

I would encourage you to contact Basia on the ask the expert section... she can give you advice on how to go about getting this covered. There are patients that have travelled to the U.S. from Canada and had tx. covered. It is a lot of work and hard to prove, but it may be worth a try. Please contact her to see if there is some hope.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:57 AM

adnama - I'm from the Hamilton area. Have you considered Dr. Waner? He is in NYC - which would be easier to travel to than California. I also spoke with him personally over the phone and he was very helpful. I didn't go with him at the end of the day as it would've been too expensive - and he recommended that I go with another doctor in NYC - which we did and he is WONDERFUL, but not for you - he just does laser treatment, not surgery.

Please keep us posted on your journey!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:20 AM

No I haven't looked into Dr. Waner yet, but maybe it's something I should start doing... Thanks!
Old 08-05-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnama View Post
No I haven't looked into Dr. Waner yet, but maybe it's something I should start doing... Thanks!

If you go to Dr. Waners website, you can email him pictures of your child and ask him what you should do. He emailed me back within 24 hours and had me call him personally. It was very helpful in our decision on what to do, who to go with, etc.