Propranolol for Hemangioma - Page 3 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 09-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Default pics

Pics for Carii!

The first one did not come through correctly, but since there is a five pic limit, I would have had to leave one out anyway. That's why they are not all there.

Thanks,

Missy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-a.jpg (18.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2_weeks-a.jpg (25.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4_weeks-a.jpg (19.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8_weeks-a.jpg (22.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 14_weeks-a.jpg (20.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-30-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RsMom View Post
She takes 1 ml 3 times a day. She weighs about 14-15 pounds. The dose is periodically adjusted according to her weight. It has been about a month since our last derm visit so it may go up a bit when we go back next week. I feel grateful that propranolol is an option for our babies now!
Thanks for the info! From looking at the boards, it seemed like a lot of babies take more than my son. He weighs over 15 lbs now and his dosage was adjusted accordingly. But our doctor is pretty conservative, so maybe that's why she doesn't want to give him more. In any case, I agree with you-- I am also very grateful that Propranolol is available for our kids.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carii View Post
Thanks Kelly and JacobsMom! Our appt with Dr. Frieden is Monday Oct 4 so I will let you all know how it goes. I'm sending some pics to that email address as we speak.

It's so nice to have this forum, people just do not seem to understand these birthmarks. I keep hearing about how common they are, but people really do stare, point and ask what it is. It's so strange to me--I just don't think I ever would have done that!
I have no problem with sincere questions and I'm always happy to give information to strangers who seem genuinely sincere and curious. But I HATE when some people just keep on staring and make rude comments! Sometimes I'm mature and just ignore it. But other times, I just can't take it and end up saying something very offensive, like, "It could be worse. He could have been born rude and ignorant like you." I said that to a lady last week. I know it's immature of me to react that way, but on the other hand, I really do believe that it's worse to be rude and ignorant than to have a physical difference.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 AM

Hi there! I am new here. I found this forum while searching for information about propranolol.

We just started treatment today, and I am so glad to see great results on other beautiful babies. I am very hopeful now.

And yes, I hate the staring and rude comments as well. The most common question I get is, "Is that a burn." My husband was tired of the same question all the time and finally told one lady, "Yup we use her to put out our cigars!" I like your response much better LOL
Old 09-30-2010, 04:24 PM

I generally don't mind people asking - I find that usually, they really want to know. However, I did have a mom and two girls come up to my daugter and the little girl said, "eew whats wrong with her face?" and the other little girl said "gross!" That was hard to hear. That helped to reaffirm my decision to do propranolol. Even though I think my daughter is perfect with or without her birthmark, if we can help it, I don't want her to deal with responses like that as she becomes old enough to understand them!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:56 PM

Yeah, the questions and comments can be hard, and I worry about kids making fun of him when he's older. But for all the difficult people, there are some great ones. A few weeks ago we were at Peet's Coffee. A little boy came over to our table, looked at Julian's forehead and said "Ouch! Daddy, can we give him my last Elmo bandaid?" I sincerely hope I can raise Julian to be such a sweet and generous kid, and I told his parents so.

I do agree that most people re just genuinely curious, and that is OK with me. At this point I have a standard line about his temporary birthmark (I call it his bindi, my little Indian god) and I find myself giving the speech whether somebody asks or not. I guess somehow I feel the need to explain. I love my son just the way he is, so why do I do this?

Please take a peek at my photos, thank you Missy for posting above!! For some reason the first one does not appear as dark as it really is in person. He also has one on his butt, but that one is trickier to photograph!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8205_sm.jpg (49.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by carii : 09-30-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-30-2010, 09:02 PM

Forgot to say:
Annina, Jacob'sMom and RsMom--your photos are so great, thank you for posting them. The results of the propranalol are pretty amazing, and your babies are so beautiful, with and without the hemangiomas.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carii View Post

Please take a peek at my photos, thank you Missy for posting above!! For some reason the first one does not appear as dark as it really is in person. He also has one on his butt, but that one is trickier to photograph!
Well, until you're old enough to sit yourself on the copy machine at work, photo-ing your butt is tricky!

Missy
Old 10-01-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy View Post
Well, until you're old enough to sit yourself on the copy machine at work, photo-ing your butt is tricky!

Missy
OK, you are too funny. I just keep picturing my little guy laughing and photocopying his butt like one of those babies in the e-trade commercials...
Old 10-01-2010, 04:11 PM

Hi everyone. I'm glad I've found this site. My daughter who has just turned one has had an hemangioma on her forehead very similar to that on carii's photo HOwever she also has one under her eye that is not visible on the skin surface but rather, this one is under the skin (looks like she has a black eye). An MRI confirmed this and since it's affecting her vision slightly, the Dermatologist is recommending she start on Propranolol to help reduce it's size and prevent any further damage to her vision.

My question is that most pharmacies compound the propranolol from tablet form. However the Doctor suggests that we go to a specific pharmacy here in Ottawa where the compound it using a liquid form instead of ground-up tablets. Has anyone heard of this difference? I'm wondering if it's worth me going out of my way to get this prefered type or whether I should just go to my local pharmacy...

Caroline