Bleeding problems/ more treatments! - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 09-13-2010, 03:58 PM

Default Bleeding problems/ more treatments!

Has anyone post-puberty experienced problems with very small areas of your pws bleeding very easily?

I'm wondering how in the heck I can handle this in public, or if I need to start traveling with a handful of small Band-Aids and accept I'll have a few on my arm constantly... would something like a styptic pencil help, or Nu-Skin maybe?

The good news, though, is that I'm re-starting treatments today! I'm sticking with the v-beam but had to switch doctors when I moved, so I'm curious to see if and how he changes settings and how that will impact bruising and birthmark removal. Trying to remember to take more pictures this time! It's very weird for me to be getting treated at a doctor's office that specializes in cosmetic procedures, after so many years of seeing doctors who specialized in medical issues with skin, but he seems to treat PWSs frequently and was very knowledgeable so I'm excited (and nervous) to get going again.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:54 AM

this is an embrassing problem that happens sometimes. i always have tissues. i had just brushed my face waiting for a bus. just before it came i felt the blood running. i had tissue getting soak for almost an hour on the bus sitting next to an old guy and i was trying to hide the bloody tissue as i kept changing it so people wouldn't freak out. had one boy nearly throw up once.

best thing is just to apply pressure an be wary of any cuts scrapes you might have. that way you will have less problems with accidental bleedings.

good luck with the treatments !
Old 09-15-2010, 05:57 AM

Thanks kaykay! Nice to hear that someone else is figuring out how to live with it, too.

I got these cute little tissues with hearts on them from the wedding section of Michael's... people seem to comment on them more than the bleeding now : ) although it's about the girlyest thing I've ever done.

Treatments are muuch harder than I thought they'd be- my new doc more than doubled the joules of the laser, and ohmygosh there is a massive amount of pain and swelling I haven't experienced since the older lasers. I'm on serious painkillers and basically not moving for the next few days... fingers crossed that the results are equally drastic!
Old 09-15-2010, 11:37 AM

don't really have a choice but to live with it ! we have dogs and i always gotta be careful cause they love playing and jumping up giving kisses unexpectedly. I go everywhere with my lipbalm. cannot go outside without it an use it indoors also

hang in there. think of the end result. no pain no gain right ? lol
Old 09-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizH View Post
Thanks kaykay! Nice to hear that someone else is figuring out how to live with it, too.

I got these cute little tissues with hearts on them from the wedding section of Michael's... people seem to comment on them more than the bleeding now : ) although it's about the girlyest thing I've ever done.

Treatments are muuch harder than I thought they'd be- my new doc more than doubled the joules of the laser, and ohmygosh there is a massive amount of pain and swelling I haven't experienced since the older lasers. I'm on serious painkillers and basically not moving for the next few days... fingers crossed that the results are equally drastic!
You need a hug!

Let us know the results. Hope you're feeling better today!

Missy
Old 09-16-2010, 01:32 AM

what i remember of treatments was blood and throwing up. i think my mom suffered worse than i did LOL my father was useless

remember one day at a time. make sure you eat with those meds.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
what i remember of treatments was blood and throwing up. i think my mom suffered worse than i did LOL my father was useless

remember one day at a time. make sure you eat with those meds.
I wish I'd read this sooner, I definitely figured out the hard way I needed to eat more with the meds! Now I need to eat a big meal before anti-nausea meds before the painkillers, although I'm taking them less.
At least I have a really good excuse for eating cheesecake for the time being...
Old 09-17-2010, 04:17 PM

lets see, i think i had a egg sandwich afterwards. didn't stay down. but fine after that. I think i was pretty good. I think that might of been one of my last treatments. flights were from Cairns to Sydney and i don't remember problems on the plane. I was young. experimental.

cheesecake. yummy. but remember, dairy with painkillers you may have other problems if your stomach is sensitive LOL.