Support in our area for 7 year old - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Youth and Teen Support

Old 07-25-2010, 03:40 AM

Default Support in our area for 7 year old

Hi, my daughter is 7.5 years old and has a mixed venous & lymphatic malf with thrombii in her right upper thigh. She was diagnosed when she was about 2.5 years old. We have been managing her with motrin/tylenol & compression pantyhose. On Thurs we had a consult for sclerotherapy and she is really freaked out about it. I was wondering if there were any support groups or other children in our area that she could communicate with to help her deal with what she is facing. I am contemplating taking her to a child psychologist to help her cope. Her condition is mild right now compared to some of the pictures I have seen and stories that I have read. My heart goes out to these children and their families. She is very blessed in that she is mobile, active and up until now has not needed any serious intervention. I do not want her to be traumatized by her treatment especially if she will need numerous treatments. Any recommendations?
Old 07-25-2010, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Can you give a general idea of where you are? To be honest, I have read of few support groups that meet in person... maybe two.

Missy
Old 07-25-2010, 04:56 PM

oops -
Yes, I live in New York (Westchester County area), my daughter's doctors are at Columbia-Pres. Thank you.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Call Beth Israel and ask if they have a group that meets regularly. Actually, any vascular clinic in the area might have information for you.

Good luck!!

Missy