Nevus of Ota? - Page 15 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Adults Living with Birthmarks

Old 05-05-2014, 05:25 PM

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://mod.postimage.org/website-english.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Having issues uploading an old foto
Old 05-28-2014, 04:35 AM

Thinguyen - did u have it when you were born?
I just had a baby and she looks like she has nevus of ota
Old 05-28-2014, 04:59 AM

Yes I was born with it.
Regards
Old 06-04-2014, 04:33 PM

Talking ND:Yag laser for Nevus Ota

Hello everyone this is my first time posting after struggling with having nevus ota all my life. Like many of you without makeup it looks like I have a black eye. My insecure nature and shyness just reinforces that idea that I am a abused person.

I have been working with a dermatologist who has treated others with dark skin and nevus ota. My treatments are 3months apart but I only see my new skin for about 1 month because the hyperpigmentation takes so long to clear. If you know who Kerry Washington is I am her color. My coloring is what makes my treatment longer and more detailed.

I live in Michigan so I go to:

Hamzavi Dermatology
2950 Keewahdin Rd,
Fort Gratiot, MI, US, 48059
(810) 455-1600

Low self esteem has affected me severely- I have social anxiety because of it. I dislike talking to people because that means making eye contact, hate when wind blows the hair off my face and summer is horrible because it melts your makeup.

I am on my third treatment: there will be swelling, so crusting, I have hyperpigmentation afterwards, so I usual have to wait for that to disappear to see results. I also looking for a bleaching cream for that reason.

I will probably need about 10 sessions in all. It hurts, I'm uglier afterwards until the swelling and hyperpigmentation recedes but its worth it.

One day-makeup free and the sun can shine on my whole face.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:37 PM

Hi everyone
Thank you for sharing all of your experiences.
Did the hyperpigmentation get worse as you got older? I am planning on laser treatment for my daughter but she is 7 months now and I don't know when to start. Anyone else out there with a baby with nevus?
Thanks
Old 06-16-2014, 06:41 PM

Hi clewdo. Id say if you start it earlier, the better for her. My hyperpigmentation did not get worse as i was instructed to take extra care of my skin. Eg. Try avoiding alot of sun in summer. Wear hats and plenty of sunscreen. If you dont follow this it may come back.
So far, its been great for me. Hope this helps
Regards
Old 07-02-2014, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinguyen View Post
This is my picture now. You can see how much has been removed from laser now theres a little above my eyelid. I hate to wear makeup as i have acne prone skin. So i always go without makeup.
Thanks
X
only on your upper left eyelid? still you look gorgeous.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:16 PM

Hello everyone! I am 33 years old, (today is my birthday) and I am glad I found this board. Yesterday I was out with a new friend and he asked about my face "Do I have to go beat someone up for you?" So, yes he thinks someone hurt me. I said no, I will tell you about it some other time. It is strange, I often live life without paying much mind except in the morning when applying makeup and most people do not see it. I guess some people are very perceptive. I have had laser treatments, around 10 and it broke up some of the color but there are still visible dark patches. I do not feel sorry for myself. There are worse things in life. Peace and love to all of you here.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:04 AM

Default nevus of ota

hii...i am 24 yrs old and just came to know that i have nevus of ota which i mistook for mongolian scar till date..i have it extensively combined with extensive pigmentation...i recently approached an ayurvedic doctor and am right now undergoing a medication course for the same..have heard about a leech treatment in ayurveda for nevus of ota.if anyone has tried it kindly share the information so that i can try the same.
Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM

Default nevus of ota

Hello my name is Jessica 24 years old Hispanic and I have recently been doing research on line about this. I have had nevus of the ota since I was born . I also have different colored eyes and bluish color in my sclera. I have had one laser treatment and just havn't had the money to go again but cant say I wouldn't go again. I am currently in the process of having my tattoos removed and can say that hurts A LOT more that removal of Nevus of the OTA. I wear MAC studio fix concealer makeup that I purchase at Macys and people cannot even tell I have the birthmark unless I point it out. I will not leave my house without makeup on though. Have before and people just love to stare or ask who beat you!! LOL!! Im glad to know that I am not the only one in the world that has this condition and knowing that I'm not alone. Also I have been told the treatment is not medical necessity so insurance will not cover, its cosmetic =( Well good luck to all of you.