Nevus of Ota? - Page 16 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Adults Living with Birthmarks

Old 08-22-2014, 03:11 AM

Default nevus of ota milpitas

I've been following this forum for a long time, but i'm not a member, so I can't reply. today I decide to join, because I want to find somebody who has nevus of ota , and also live in the same city or somewhere closer(within driving distance) to the city I live in. right now I live in Milpitas, california, united states. I think the chance is slim, but just giving it a try here. I always hope to find a friend with nevus of ota and we can meet, talk and support each other in real life, not just online. and maybe we can do the treatments together and follow each other for treatment and improvement. I feel I really need someone to support me in real life,because I always feel so lonely and depress.

anyway, my name is anita. I'm chinese or should be called taiwanese. I speak mandarin, english is my second language. i'm 24 years old. I have had nevus of ota my whole life until now. I have it on my right face, around the eyes(upper and lower eyelids), in the right eye's sclera and eyeball so it changes my eyeball color to black my left eyeball is brown), also on my forehead, nose bridge, nostril, and around the left eyes as well(but my left eyeball is not affected, and left face is not affected )

I always feel my area is quite big, I hate to have it around the eyes and nostril because it is hard to cover it up, I also have sensitive skin, so I don't really like make-up.(i use covermark) I always hate to see myself in mirror because my half face is all bluish mix with black, especially the eyes, it looks so scary, ugly and horrible.

I have had five treatments a few years ago(not all in US) , but I don't see much improvement in the last two treatments, so I stop, money and pain issue are also among the reasons. even though I had numbing cream and numbing shot, I still felt very painful. some area is a little tolerable, but most area hurts a lot. also, after laser treatment, sometimes it take up to 14 days for healing..

my e-mail is anita122517@yahoo.com, please contact me if you live in the area . if you don't live in the area, you can still connect with me though. I want to connect with people who has the birthmark and understand my poor english. if you have trouble understanding what I wrote(sorry!), than don't connect with me.

this is my first time leaving e-mail in public, but it is a birthmark forum, so hopefully there would not be any spam or virus sending to my e-mail address.

Last edited by antiquegirl12 : 08-22-2014 at 03:16 AM. Reason: edit grammar
Old 08-23-2014, 05:15 AM

I was born with a Nevus of Ota on my right eye in 1954. For over 50 years, none of the family doctors, ophthalmologists or optometrists that I went to knew what it was. I searched on the internet and finally found out what it was and discovered that it is predominantly in Asians. As far as I know, I do not have any Asian ancestors although my father supposedly has Native American ancestors and I've heard that they think Native Americans came across the Bering Strait many years ago and migrated to North and South America and may be ancestors of their people. My right eye looks like I have a shiner or black eye as if someone punched me. The blue area goes all the way around the eye and I also have dark spots on the white of my eye. As I've gotten older, a purplish color appeared on my forehead above that eye and there are dark spots on my head above it in the hair on my head. I've worn corrective glasses for near-sightedness since my teens. I have red hair and brown eyes; the right eye with the Nevus of Ota is such a dark brown, almost black, which makes it hard to see the pupil. It is most noticed when I take off my glasses or when I wear contact lens. I get comments all of the time from people asking me who punched me. I used to tell people that it was a birthmark that I was born with before I found out what it was. Now I tell them what it is. NCIS Los Angeles actress Daniela Ruah has a Nevus of Ota on her right eye, also. Check out this article about it here - http://www.fansshare.com/news/daniel...usses-her-eye/ and here are some pictures of others with it here - https://www.google.com/search?q=famo...2F%3B550%3B298
Old 08-24-2014, 10:30 AM

Smile My story with nevus of ota

Hello everyone,
I am very happy to have found this site and finally be able to share my personal experience with all of you.I have a nevus of ota myself and I've spent loads of time trying to find out how to cover it up,cause the majority of people don't know what this black and blue mark is.I've had some laser treatments where the mark would fade away for sometime but gradually would reappear.Finally I decided to stop as recovery was using up all of my energy.So,I try to have it covered as well as I can ,which can be tricky as I live in a hot climate and wear big stylish glasses instead.I was wondering for years why this happened to me,which was affecting my self esteem but I have decided to accept it as a part of me.If anything,it has helped me to see people beyond their appearance.
Don't get me wrong there are still days that I wake up and want it gone but it's always with me.And then I think I should not complain,it was just meant to be...
By the way, a very good make is double wear by estee Lauder which is applied easily and has passed the test of being intact under the Greek sun even as we speak...thank you for reading my story..I am glad there is a place where we can all relate and share our own personal stories.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:39 PM

Hi all,
I to have this birthmark and wanted to share my experience about treatment. I am 28 years old and my birthmark appeared in my late teen ages. It covered my left forehead, eye and cheek area. There was nothing worse than having people feel sorry for you. A few years a go I decided to have laser. Over a period of 1-1.5 years I underwent painful treatments. Not only painful but they discoloured the skin, taking days to recover. I decided to stop as I felt that it wasn't working. However, life took over and I began to forget about it. It wasn't just life but my birthmark progressively faded. It's not completely gone and my eye lids and bags are still coloured (laser was too evasive for those sensitive areas). However, I no longer wear a side fringe which used to hide my birthmark.

Looking back I am glad I did the treatment. My advice is if you choose to have laser, you need to be committed. A few treatments wasn't enough. I think I had about 12 treatments. Initially the dr said about 8 but after once I reached this stage it wasn't working. He was kind enough to charge my a smaller fee for ongoing treatment. The fading occurred once I stopped going. It is also not for the faint hearted!

I just wanted to post because here to give some hope for those looking at treatment.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:07 PM

Hello,

I am 32 years old and I started to have nevus of ota when I was about 16 years old.It gradually got worse and worse until people would ask me everyday if I got into a fight. It would get very annoying and I would feel bad when attending important events due to people staring or something. When I was 25 years old I went to go get it checked out by a dermatologist and they identified it as Nevus of ota. They sent me to another dermatologist that had a green laser quartz ( I do not know exactly what it was called) to have a sample laser treatment done but the results were not great. They then sent me to a doctor who had a ruby quartz switched laser (for tatoo removal) and I had three laser treatments done which completely removed the darkness from that area without leaving any type of scar. It was a little painful (it kind of feels like someone snapping a rubber band about fifty times per second on your skin kind of pain) but the results were completely worth it. I remember the doctors name was Mitchel P. Goldman in San Diego California. At first I was nervous but nobody has even noticed that I ever had a very dark mark under my eye. Trust me, I thought there was no hope for me prior to that and would have mild depression for a while and now I can say that I can go anywhere without feeling ashamed or uncomfortable.