Nevus of Ota? - Page 7 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Adults Living with Birthmarks

Old 03-27-2013, 08:19 AM

Default Nevus of ota treatment

Hi there,

I just wanna know, apart from laser treatment is there any other options?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybaeza View Post
Hey guys,

I am 21 years old and I just found out yesterday that my birthmark is called Nevus of Ota. The name itself kind of scared me. I have been constantly asked "who hit you?" "are you okay?", also been told "who is he? So we can whoop his a%$", etc. Because my birthmark looks like a black eye since it is located on my left eye. Does anyone else have it? I have so many questions because no one in my family has it except me. I wonder how and why would I be the only one to have it when no one else in my family does and I have a pretty big family. I just hate being questioned about it. I used to be made fun of growing up because of it. Is there anything other than laser treatment to get rid of it or at least lighten it?? All responses welcome. Thank you!
I'm a 29 year old Caucasian female with a Nevus of Ota also under my left eye. I never had anything there growing up and it came out once I hit puberty around 13. I had multiple teachers at school ask me if "everything was ok at home" and it was extremely frustrating and very damaging to my self esteem. At 16, my dad took me to my first laser treatment and I believe I had 2 sessions with little to no change. I've spent years trying different makeup and techniques but it has still been a huge issue emotionally still to this day. Last year I decided to get back into the laser thinking maybe after all these years the laser would be better. I've had about 3 treatments within the past year and I noticed it being a little lighter but nothing like I was hoping for. At $250 a session, I can't afford these treatments any longer or the added frustration of it not working. I struggle with people always asking me "what happened?" "Who hit you?" Or more specifically the "who is he? Ill beat him up for you" whenever I'm not wearing makeup so I completely relate to everyone here and this message board is truly a blessing bringing us all together like this. It's a very lonely feeling having this because I've never known anyone else with it.

I'm now looking into a different option, one that I never even considered before. Flesh colored tattoos. I've looked this up and found that although its somewhat uncommon, it sounds like it has worked for some people. A lot of people say it would not be a good idea because of the different skin tones during different seasons and it "wouldn't look natural" but you know what? Anything that makes it look less like a bruise I am all for because that is the most frustrating part of this condition. I would have to imagine that even if it didn't look too natural, it's got to be easier to cover than blue! I feel so bad for my boyfriend because I know people see me and look at him like he's a woman beater and I just hate it. I emailed my tattoo place that I've gotten tattoos from in the past to see what they say. I will let you all know what I find out and if I do end up doing this, I'll be posting before and after photos. at this point, I'm willing to try anything to not look like a victim of domestic abuse!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:32 AM

Default Nevus of Ota Treatment

To answer your question "is there anything else available"? Well, you can try derma rolling. I went in to attempt the permanent makeup (tattoo) and was discouraged not to from the consultant related to finding the right color was difficult to cover the bluish green area from my left temple to under my eye as well as to look right on my complexion as well. Instead it was recommended that I try derma rolling instead. I have had 4 derm rolling treatments. I'm not sure if I see any major results right now (we think so) but I'm sure you know sometimes the area looks better on some days than others. Not sure if its my mood, hormones or what.

I will say, I have had several laser treatments in the past and have had some improvement. Laser is approx $250 per tx but sometimes it takes several tx and months to see any improvement so don't give up!
Old 05-15-2013, 04:30 PM

Hi All! I have some exciting news! Just yesterday I went to my doctor to see this new laser that he has been working with. There are only three in California. Its called the Clear Lift Laser. My Doctors name is Dr. Clark and he's with Laser MD. You can visit the website, www.lasermd.net. I suffer from nevus of ota around my left eye. I have two different color brown eyes and the bluish purple color around my eye and temple area. I have done the Ruby laser which has caused scabbing and a lot of downtime. That was very expensive and painful with no results. I have also been using the dermal roller which I had purchased from the skin care convention here in Long Beach, CA over a year ago. That has given me some change as long as I use it with pigment lighteners. It's taken forever to see any relief from that. So Yesterday I went to see Dr. Clark and he explained to me this new laser that it's out. No downtime, no scabbing or blisters and best of all, no pain!!! So how could I resist. I did the treatment and saw instant results. I've already booked my next treatment for two weeks! So excited!!! I'm glad that I waited and kept researching. I actually got lucky, because he was a doctor that I used to refer business too years ago for hair removal and they had my email information and I received a newsletter regarding this wonderful laser. And just so you know, I'm an Aesthetician and my ethnic background is Irish, French, Austrian, African American, and American Indian. So I have light to medium olive skin tone. If you're wondering about the price, it's different for everyone I'm sure. His special that he's running is about $250 but other doctors that I've seen have cost me between $700 to $1200, so I thought this was a great price. When I walked out, he only charged me $160!! Yay!!! Good luck to you all that suffer from what I have suffered with for over 15 years. I would fly across the country if I had to, luckily the furthest I've gone was San Francisco. This is practically in my back yard!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:00 PM

I have one myself a blue one on my eye that darkens, I always thought it was a rather unique birthmark, I was asked many times in the past by strangers as you all did if I got bruised or something, there is not a day that went by that I got ashamed of it. I think is remarkable having this birthmark, it does make us unique. kind regards

Last edited by Sole Art : 05-21-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:02 PM

I have a Blackish Brown Birth Mark on my Left side of the face, it covers half the face and i suspect its Nevus of OTA.
Is there a treatment for it ? Heard about Q switched Laser and also Ruby Laser.

Anyone with success stories ? Please share and help me out here.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:19 PM

Default 30yr old female in UK, Naevus of Ota under right eye

Hi,

I just stumbled across this site and would love to connect with other women who have the same problem as me. Would be great to swap tips of how to cover this horrible mark up or hear of any success stories in blitzing it away, but just someone to empathise with and listen to their own personal struggles with self esteem because of this would be comforting.

I've had this mark under my right eye since I hit puberty. It got darker and darker until it looked like I'd been punched. I never go out without make up on now. Over the years I've used different make up products. I cover it well- a lot of people don't know I have this mark now unless I'm really tired (and it looks worse) or if I am hungover and haven't done the make up well, or in summer when make up sweats off.

On holiday is the worst- you can't wear shed loads of make up and you want the sun to get to your skin. I hate how self conscious it makes me feel. I have to get to the stage of just tanned enough that it starts to blend with the colour of the mark. But then you have to amend the colour of the make up. Its like a bloody master piece your painting.

I feel so ugly.

If I didn't have this mark I feel I'd be a different person.

I tried laser therapy in the past once, but it was expensive and didn't work. I just had to have a horrible swollen crusty red scabby eye for a week or so. I wouldn't do it again. It didn't lighten at all. I did this all myself privately when I was about 18. The doctor said it was Naevus of Ota and rare in caucasian white women.

NHS haven't wanted to know anything about it.
Gp made me feel stupid for even asking for a private referral.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2013, 10:42 AM

Default make up techniques

The best make up cocealer I've found is for this is Bobbie Brown in peach and light peach. Also, Laura Mercier is great too! You might consider purchasing both to play with it and see what works best for you. Always look for peach tone cover ups, because it counteracts the blue. Anything else will make it look ruddy and it will show through fast. I also sometimes like to add a little invisible powder by Laura Mercier to help set the concealer. It's also good to apply the makeup over foundation and let it warm to you body temperature before blending it in... Now if any of you read these, please look at my previous post on how I've been treating tjis birthmark. I'm now on my third treatment and its working out amazingly! No bruising, scabs, or downtime. Ive been consistant every 2 weeks and the last treatment was $100. I dont know if Dr. Dennis Clark will charge the same for everyone because each case is different. If anyone wants to email me, im at info@skindiversitydayspa.com Thanks!
Old 06-21-2013, 07:37 PM

Default nevus of ota

Hello, I also just found out yesterday, the name of what has caused me so many tears and depression and have also been asked those same questions, who hit you? Are you ok? And not to mention the stares... wow Why me I used to ask myself.. Well im 35 now and I actually learned to love my birthmark lol it grew on me literally haha, I cover it up beautifully, nobody even imagines that nevus of ota lives on my face lol.. but ive decided to have it removed, my husband made a mean comment , he said he never kisses me due to the amount of makeup I wear, him knowing that I wear a tasteful amt because of my terrible mark.. His comment got me thinking that first of all what A JERK LOL second that I don't have to live with this anymore... im not doing it for him , I guess the wrong comment from the wrong person made me realize that I have options, I can remove this but others cant remove their ugliness of their lack of understanding that we are born physically different and its sad to say that the world is full of ignorance. I go in to have it partially removed on july 19 2013 with a ruby laser used to remove tattoos.. im ready and willing to be over this ordeal... hopefully soon I will be saying goodbye to my nevus of ota....
Old 06-25-2013, 06:58 PM

Wow, I can't believe there are so many people with this problem. I am the only one I've ever seen with a Nevus of Ota. I am white, female 59 and have dealt with this since birth. It covers almost the entire right side of my face from temple to jaw, right eye and some scattered around my head-left temple also. I had brain cancer almost 3 years ago and the blue color was also in the tumors. I tried the Ruby laser treatment, but ended up with a lot of scarring. Has anyone tried tattooing with a normal skin tone color? I don't have any insurance, so will have to pay for it out of pocket. I'm tired of using so much makeup, it's getting very old, and the older I get, the worse all the makeup looks. I would love to hear from some of you that have tried tattoos, or other treatments that have worked well. Please email me at wendyhodge1@verizon.net. Thanks!