newbie: 6mth DD with eyelid hemag - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 08-03-2011, 06:08 AM

Default newbie: 6mth DD with eyelid hemag

Hi folks! I am so glad I found this website. My 6 month old daughter was diagnosed with a capillary hemangioma on her right eyelid. The derm wasn't took concerned since it is small and started her on the beta blocker gel and referred us to the eye dr to check to make sure her vision wasn't being effected. Eye dr is very concerned. Both eyes have astimg, with the right eye (with Hem) being much more severe. They don't think the gel will work/ need it to work faster so they are advising to start the oral propranolol. She will also need to wear an eye patch an hour a day to hopefully strengthen the weaker eye. I'd love any advice you could provide. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

While I don't have any advice, specifically, you do sound like you're in experienced hands. Will the derm go ahead and prescribe the oral med?

I had to patch one eye when I was younger. I couldn't see out of my left eye, so they patched the right one 24/7. I was four years old and it didn't work. Basically, I spent two years blind. Make sure she does wear the patch as instructed ... the earlier you can begin that treatment, the better. It's difficult to make a child keep the patch on well.

Missy
Old 08-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Administrator

I also meant to say: You can ask Dr. Fay, our eye expert here:

http://birthmark.org/node/68

He might have some other treatment options for you, might be able to point to any current research, or just put your mind at ease that your treatment plan is appropriate. You can send a photo when you ask, too.

Missy