Dazed and confused..... - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 07-29-2011, 01:37 AM

Default Dazed and confused.....

Hey everyone!
I'm new to the boards here...let me give you a little background on us we are a 'attachment parenting' family. Co-sleeping, no vaccines, organic foods, baby wearing, breastfeeding...I could go on we have a wonderful, smart 3 year old and a chunky 8 month old. Our 8 month old is the one with the H....it's on her side/back. Almost under her arms. It's quite puffy and large to say the least but I think she's absolutely beautiful with it. These past few days I've noticed a black spot that keeps getting larger....should I be worried about it ulcerating? I'm a nervous wreck. We usually get seen at Vanderbilt childrens hospital but they don't have anything till mid oct. Even after I told them the circumstances. I'm having trouble finding things on the web about this and just wanted to hear from other mamas out there...thanks ladies and gents!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

This is by no means good advice, just what I've noticed around here.

Usually, ulceration comes so fast and so suddenly that parents don't have time to post about it until after the fact. It's more likely that they come in and post things like, "OMG... it bled so much!!"

Usually, parents describe involution beginning with a gray spot in the middle that spreads.

I would *think* that your description sounds more like involution (the process that means the hemangioma is going away) than ulceration. But I'm the webmaster and not a doc.

If you can post a photo of it here, people will come in and give their opinions. Also, if you can send a photo to one of our experts, they are good at getting back to parents. http://birthmark.org/experts.php If you can't post a photo here, email it as an attachment to contact@birthmark.org and I'll take care of it. Often, photos are too large to post and no one knows how to shrink them down a bit.

But take a deep breath .... I think it's going to be OK.

Missy
Old 07-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Default pics

Here ya go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (9.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (23.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-30-2011, 07:12 PM

beautiful baby! Yes, this does appear to be an area that might ulcer. I would recommend keeping the area covered with zinc oxide product or aquapher. This might not stop the ulceration, but it can help protect the area. Infection is the primary concern and pain. Ulcerations are painful.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:09 PM

Thanks for posting the pics!

Gosh, I really hope it doesn't ulcerate but all I can do is prep mentally and get things ready in case. Thankfully I called our pediatrician and got an appointment for tue! Yay!

What do you mommies do for your children once it happens? I feel absolutely terrible about the situation. I'm stressing about something that hasn't even happend yet. Any advice and words of wisdom would be much appreciated!!

Thanks all!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 03:15 AM

Okay so we went to our beloved pediatrician and she said it doesn't look like it's ulcerating....but it's just dry. Now the spot is MUCH worse and I'm afraid she's wrong. Please....someone give me reassurance it's in fact okay. To me it looks scary and I don't know what to do. I'm up against a wall!!!

Please help! ;(
Old 08-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Default More Pics

You know, I don't think it's ulcerating. But my opinion means nothing. I know that all the responses that I see from Dr. Serena (our wound care expert) say that you should keep it moist, but not too moist. I just don't know if that applies when it's NOT ulcerating yet.

If you haven't asked him, I would. If you cannot get your photos to go through the form (they are LARGE files) then I will get your question from the database and add your photos to it and email the whole pack to him.

http://birthmark.org/experts.php

Missy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mommytotwo1.jpg.jpg (9.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg mommytotwo2.jpg.jpg (10.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-23-2011, 08:28 PM

So on Sunday it started to ooze....yellow/green pus. Her Ped. kept reassuring me everything is okay and now it's infected ;( the odd part is that it never bled or opened up. So she's on topical as well as oral antibiotics. They are referring us to dermatologist so we can further discuss laser treatments. My question is....wouldn't this be gastly painful??! Then just flat out removal of it. I REALLY would love ANY input on your experiences or advice. I'm seriously up against a wall here and don't know what to do ;((
Old 08-23-2011, 11:45 PM

I think ulcerations are painful. Have they suggested removing it at all? My daughter had one removed so I can answer any questions you have about that. Let me know!

My email is katiegalvin02@yahoo.com

Where are you located?