Topical timolol? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 06-10-2014, 05:04 PM

Default Topical timolol?

My daughter is 9 weeks old and has a hemangioma on her cheek measuring 0.9cm. It is very red and raised- no blue component. The dermatologist today suggested topical timolol. Anyone have any experience with this or have had any adverse effects? Thanks.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:21 AM

Hi there! I have not had experience with this but it sounds like a typical approach to me. If that treatment doesn't help, you could always ask about other options, but it sounds like the doctor might be trying something topical rather than an oral medicine first which sounds reasonable. Hopefully someone will chime in with their experiences on how effective it was or side effects, etc.
Good luck!
Shannon
Old 06-12-2014, 03:49 PM

My daughter started growing when she was about three weeks. She had a mixed deep/surficial At ~10 weeks we started timolol. I am not sure if helped but hers did stop growing by 9 months and she is 19 months now and the surficial is half gone, the deep is completely gone. it is half gone. it grew to be a little smaller than a dime.