PWS and Height? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 03-16-2004, 08:51 PM
jfrederick96

Default PWS and Height?

Does anyone know of a link between Port Wine Stain and excessive growth or height? My two year old daughter is as tall as tall four-year olds and people are always remarking about how tall she is, coupled with the large PWS on her right cheek. Thank you in advance for your time.

Old 03-18-2004, 08:12 PM

Default Re:PWS and Height?

Hello,

All I can tell you is that the increased blood flow can often cause bones to thicken (hyperostosis). I do not know specifically on height. I did read on the following website about how KT Syndrome....which can cause increase/decrease in growth.

www.ktfoundation.com

Good luck with finding your answers.

Corinne
Old 03-22-2004, 07:40 PM
clairesmum

Hi
My daughter with facial pws is of average height at 17 months, but our 2y8m daughter is also as tall as a 4 yo (her brother), so it may just be in the genes. You are more likely to notice that where your daughter's pws is on her face that is may look slightly larger than areas without pws. I have noticed that on Claire. Her right side (pws side) looks bigger (but not huge that other people seem to notice) than the left side, that has a small light pws up her cheek bone.

Hope this helps and all the best to you and your daughter.
Catherine
Old 04-24-2004, 01:01 PM
ameski

Hi,
I am 29 yrs old and have a large pw birthmark on my right cheeck. I am 5'2 and weigh 55kgs. I am a lot shorter than both of my younger siblings. Although never the shortest in my class growing up I was always one of the smaller kids. Although I dont know for sure I would be suprised if your daughters birthmark had anything to do with her height. I think it's more likely genetics and environment. , Amie
Old 04-30-2004, 11:54 PM
Gracemom

I am 33 years old and have a PWS on my right knee. I am the shortest person in my family at 5'2" but have never really associated the two. My 8 month old daughter has a PWS on her left cheek (just had her first laser treatment today) and she is in the 25th percentile for her weight and height. I guess I always thought it was genetics -- but any relation to the PWS is an interesting thought!