No hospital stay on Propranolol? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 02-15-2012, 07:45 PM

Default No hospital stay on Propranolol?

Hi my son is 6 months and we have decided to treat his hemangioma with propranolol. His pediatric dermatologist referred him to a pediatric cardioligist and when setting up the appointment I spoke to a nurse about hospitalization because everything I read said when your just starting on the medication the infant is hospitalized for 24-48 hrs. His nurse said they no longer do hospitalizations for propranolol now it is strictly outpatient? Has anyone heard of this? Now I'm not sure what to do because the medication does make me a little nervous and I would rather his heart be monitored in the hospital than not.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Speak to your doctor about your concerns, but I have heard of children who were not hospitalized to be monitored.

You might ask the doctor if they will give the first dose at their office in the morning and then allow you to come in at lunch and late afternoon to get checked. That way, no hospitalization yet your worries are put to rest.

Do ask him about how to monitor at home and if you also have to monitor his blood sugar or if his feeding schedule will be an issue.

Missy
Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM

My Doctor at Johns Hopkins preferred the idea of a 48 hour monitoring period, but said that it wasn't 100% necessary. It's definately a case of erring on the side of caution, but I know I felt better being in the hospital while my DD was first exposed to the drug. Particularly since she was only 6 months old and the drug affects blood pressure.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:51 AM

we didn't stay when they were monitoring my daughter. We had a 3 hour appointment and they wanted me to give the med at home, come in and tehy took vitals every hour until the dose was gone and I gave the next one there and waited again for a bit.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:53 AM

My son has been on that for about 6 months along with a month of steriods. They had me go in weekly for 2 weeks to check blood pressure we've had not problem, he was just over a year when he started, they kept doing the just wait and see if it will go away
Old 02-25-2012, 08:36 PM

My daughter started propranolol 1 month ago. Our pediatric derm said that for 3 months and younger they do 48 hour hospital induction. She was exactly 3 months when we started, so we chose outpatient. The pediatric cardiologists we saw were very reassuring- they have been using this drug for 60+ years in pediatric cardiology with no hospital induction and very little monitoring. My daughter did fabulous- no side effects at all except her H shrinking dramatically overnight!!!