Surgery on lower lip hemangioma - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 11-28-2011, 04:58 PM

I'm new to this board; however, I have been reading several of the posts relating to this thread. My daughter Meghan was born with a lower lip hemangioma. It grew rapidly and at about 2 1/2 months and ulcerated. We had been seeing a pediatric dermatologist since she was 1 month old. At first they were just keeping an eye on it; however once it started to ulcerate, they had given her a cortisone shot. This didn't not slow down the growth. So, they ended up putting her on high-dose steroids for about 5 months. This definitely slowed down/stopped the growth. She now has a fairly large divot where the ulceration occurred and the scar tissue is white. We have met with a pediatric plastic surgeon in Pittsburgh a few times already to track the hemangioma and now have a follow-up visit scheduled for this coming Thursday (12/1). We knew all along that at some point she would need surgery. The surgeon said that it was on our timeline as to when we would want it done; however, she recommended waiting until she was school age. She will be 3 yrs. old in February. I am hoping that at this appointment we will be able to schedule her surgery. It isn't as much for the hemangioma, as I'm willing to wait another year or so, if need be; however, she is starting to get a cross-bite. I think that the bump on her lower right lip, is starting to affect her bite. Also, when she smiles, her lip seems to droop as if she has lost muscle tone on that side of her lip. I'm not sure that surgery will be able to correct that, so, before this causes any additional problems, I think it may be best to have the surgery. I just wanted to thank everyone on this board for their posts and personal stories as it had been both comforting and educational for me. I am trying to look for a picture that shows the current state of the hemangioma and also of one from when it was at its worst. This will have to wait to later though, as I'm at work and unable to download anything.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Hi,

I can only attach five at a time, so there will be three threads of your pics!

Missy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #1---3days-old.jpg (7.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg #2---1-week-old.jpg (32.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg #3---1-month-old.jpg (15.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg #4---1-month-old.jpg (14.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg #5---7-weeks-old.jpg (17.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Here's the second!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #6---5-months-old---1-month.jpg (44.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg #7---6-months-old---2-month.jpg (28.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg #8---One-year-old.jpg (18.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg #9---18-months.jpg (19.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg #10---2.jpg (27.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Administrator

And the third!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #11---Two-years-old.jpg (19.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg #12---2-years-10-months---C.jpg (34.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg #13---2-years-and-10-months.jpg (21.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-24-2012, 01:59 PM

interesting my son's look looks similar we we talked to the plastic surgeon they generraly like to wait as long as they can due to the growing body, if they fix it earlier and they grow they might have to fix it again later, rather then just waiting til 5 or 6 and doing it then. my son't lip hangs on the one side too and that is fixable but like I said they like to wait as long as possible so it doesn't have to be redone again

I tried to attach a pix that didn't work, we're still growing though, the steriods didn't work, we just started vinchristine
Old 02-24-2012, 05:39 PM

Hi there! I'm not sure if I responded to you before..its seems your original post was a while ago...so please forgive me if I repeat myself! My daughter has an upper lip hemangioma and it was a pretty similar situation. She had steroids as a baby after having an ulceration and was left with a divot that was corrected with surgery when she was 5 years old. Her doctor always told us that she would probably have her surgery when she was about 5....I'm not 100% sure on the reason, probably a combination of things....waiting to make sure it had involuted as much as it was going to on its own, social reasons with starting kindergarten, etc. But I know that other children do have surgery much earlier, but that was the case for us anyway. It wasn't really a hemangioma removal surgery at that point, it was more to fix it up to make everything look more symmetrical and even. Here's her photo album if you would like to see:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...l=a 18fd285c7

Good luck with everything. Be sure to discuss your concerns about her bite with her doctor and your child's dentist to see what the impact might be. By the way, your daughter is beautiful!

Shannon
Old 02-24-2012, 07:13 PM

my almost 3 year old just had surgery on Thursday to correct her lower lip H. It ulcerated at 3 months and was left with a very big circle divot and then a line scar up into her lip (looked like a thermometer bulb) SHe had to go in to remove a scalp nevus sebaceous so the plastic surgeon suggested fixing the lip as well since she was going under anyway and there was no change in the lip in over a year.
She is doing fantastic from the surgery and it is healing well so far...it has only been a day but looks good.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:41 AM

Thanks for your posts! Shannon, your daughter is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing her pictures. They really put me at ease. My daughter is scheduled for surgery next Friday...3/2/12. They are going to just remove the scar tissue during this surgery. Meghan's plastic surgeon said that she isn't going to remove any of the hemangioma at this point. That will more than likely be a second surgery. She thinks that there will probably need to be a second surgery. They aren't going to do anything with the redness under her lip either. They are going to wait since she will probalby need a second surgery, it will eventually go away on its own in time, and she will be getting laser treatments down the road. I am pretty optimistic about the surgery and feel confident in the surgeon, Dr. Loralei Grunwaldt. She is having the surgery done at Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh.

Also, I checked with Meg's dentist during our most recent visit and she wasn't concerned with her bite at this point. Neither the surgeon or the dentist felt that the cross-bite was due to the hemangioma.

Wish us luck...I will update next week after her surgery.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:47 AM

That's great that you were able to get a surgery date so fast! Good luck with everything! As you can see my daughter had laser too to deal with the redness above her lip and it worked very well. As for her bite, my daughter's mouth always seemed to look a little bit off to me before she had the surgery, I think because she had a divot and lump slightly off to the side and it just caught your eye as something not being right...but after her surgery her smile just seems more symmetrical and even and it all sort of fell into place. So maybe you will see similar results. It must be hard to have to do things in stages, but it must be for the best. Just try to take it one step at a time. Let us know how the surgery goes. I will be thinking of her!

Shannon
Old 02-28-2012, 04:25 PM

Surgery might be postponed. Meghan is starting to get a cold. And she is usually not one to just get a little cold. Hers usually turns into a full blown upper respiratory infection. So, we'll see. I talked to the surgeon's office this morning and they said to keep an eye on her for the next 24 to 48 hours. Hopefully she will be able to fight this and be fine. Ugh, the weather in Pittsburgh has been insane this winter. 60 degrees one day, 20 degrees and snow the next.

mrssreid- how is your daughter's recovery going? Any pointers as to what to expect?