Dr recommends surgery, please share experiences - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 11-06-2012, 04:22 AM

Default Dr recommends surgery, please share experiences

Our daughter has a compound hemangioma slightly larger than a dime on her cheek by her ear. We have been treating it with propranolol and laser treatments for the last six months but we only saw moderate improvement. She is now a year old and Dr. Levitin thinks we should have seen more improvement by now and that continued treatment with laser and propranolol probably isn't going to do much. At this point he is recommending surgery. It would be a complete excision, removing the entire thing and resulting in a scar on her cheek. We are a little frightened by the prospect of surgery and the resulting scar and we aren't sure what to do, especially given her hemangioma is "cosmetic" and not interfering with any of her vital functions. I would really like to hear from anyone else who has gone ahead with surgery, particularly how their LO did with the procedure and how things look now.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:47 AM

I still have some damage left over, after all this time. I'm very sensitive about it. To me, it's very obvious. I don't think anyone else much notices. Once, my husband said something to me about how I shouldn't worry about it and I had to tell him he didn't have to walk around with it on his face.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:08 PM

My daughter required surgery, actually 2 (the 2nd was emergency). This was only because her hem was growing very rapidly, and into her eye, and affecting her vision. This was mandatory.

I do not think we would have agreed to surgery had it not been an emergency. There is so much they can do with laser, and if it is truly only cosmetic, I would also want to see if it goes away on its own. We had no choice, but given one we would have waited. My babe is left with a very bad scar.

just my opinion.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:12 AM

My son just had his H removed 6 months ago and we are very happy with the results and so is he. Here is a link to see his results:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/se...5013155&type=3

Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 PM

My daughter had surgery to remove a large hemangioma in the center of her forehead when she was 13 months old. She is now 6 1/2. We have absolutely no regrets and are thrilled with the results. Her surgery was performed by Dr. Reinisch in LA. We have only wonderful things to say about him and his colleagues. Very happy with our decision as I hope you will be with whatever you decide.
Here is a before picture from her first birthday, 6 weeks prior to surgery. The next post has a current picture.
Good luck with your decision!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (9.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 PM

After picture, age 6 1/2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (27.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-12-2013, 01:45 PM

Wow! Amazing results!
Shannon
Old 01-17-2013, 01:15 PM

My daughter had one of her hemangiomas removed 2 years ago when she was 18 months. She had been on propanolol for 6 or 8 months prior and we saw no improvement. We are very glad we went forward with the surgery. She had it done by a plastic surgeon and her scar is in her hairline and just two years later the scar is almost invisible despite her having about 20 stitches. Her surgery was done at a day surgical center and she did fantastic. She had mild nausea from the general anesthesia, but after that wore off she was fine. If faced with it again, we would go forward with surgery-it was very nice to put the hemangioma journey behind us.