Purse string closure? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 PM

Default Purse string closure?

Hi. My 2 1/2 year old daughter has a hemangioma on her forehead, it is about the size of a 50 cent piece and raised. She will be having surgery shortly (in the next few months) to have it removed. Our surgeon left us with the option of a straight line closure (that would leave her with a long, about 2 1/2 inches, skinny scar) or a purse string closure (that would leave an almost circular scar, much smaller but would probably need a second procedure down the road). Does anyone have any experience with either option that could offer some advice for my husband and I as far as deciding which way to go? Thank you!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:21 AM

Hi! My daughter had surgery but it was on her lip so I don't really have any firsthand experience with the purse string closure. Hopefully some other people will be able offer their experiences with that shortly! Another possibility is that you could email Dr. Levitin (go to Find a Doctor/Ask the Expert.) You can send him a photo and he might be able to give you his opinion of what type of closure he would suggest. I bet it probably depends on the size of the hemangioma and the location. Good luck with the surgery. I know I felt so relieved when my daughter's surgery was complete! Keep in touch and let us know how it goes!

Thanks,
Shannon
Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 AM

Hello,
My daughter had a large hemangioma on her forehead that was removed by Dr. Reinisch in LA when she was 13 months old. She is now six. I can not say enough wonderful things about Dr. Reinsich and his team. We are so pleased with the results. She has a straight line scar down the center of her forehead, but by now it is fairly faint and we never get any questions or comments about it. That sure beats the awful things people used to say about the hemangioma! I will post a before and after picture for you. If I can help in any way please let me know. I vividly remember how stressful all of this was.
Good luck with your decision!
Rory

Here is the before photo. After is in the next post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (9.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-04-2013, 11:19 AM

My daughter is 6 1/2 in this picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (27.2 KB, 0 views)