Laser treatment after propranolol? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo
1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 08-28-2015, 12:29 AM
Default Laser treatment after propranolol?

My daughter had propranolol treatment for 11 months, until she was 1. Her H is on her face so the doctor has suggested possibility of laser treatment on the residual redness. Looking for others who have opted for this or not opted for it and your experiences. My daughter is 2 1/2 now. The redness has not changed at all since stopping propranolol so I am not confident it will disappear on its own. Thank you
Old 08-28-2015, 01:09 AM

HI there! It can take quite a while for the redness to go away on its is a slow process but it does usually happen!

My daughter had a hemangioma on her upper lip and the skin underneath her nose. She took oral steroids (this we before they used propanolol) for the first year or so...and then nature took its course. It faded slowly over the course of the next few years and then eventually when she was in Kindergarten, the doctor said we probably wouldn't see much more involution. It can take up to 10 years. So at that point, we got a second opinion at the VBF conference in NYC, and the doctors said pretty much the same thing. So my daughter had 2 laser treatments (one in Kindergarten and one in 2nd grade) just to touch up the last little bits. She had anesthesia the first time but not the second. She had bruising on her face for about 2 weeks afterwards, both times. She still has some uneven redness in her lip and gums but it is barely noticeable (she is 10 now.)

I am not sure if anything is different because your daughter used propanalol (as opposed to steroids), but I would say it is still very early at age 2 1/2 to know what the natural "end result" will be like. Where is her hemangioma located? Even if it doesn't 100% go away on its own, you are still likely to see lots of change over the next several years. It is definitely not an overnight thing, so it does take some patience (not easy, I know!) You probably would notice more if you take photos every few months.

SO.... that's our experience, not advice really. I guess it depends on what your wishes are and how quickly you want it to be gone, with our without intervention. Let me know if you have any questions or would like to see pictures!
VBF Hemangioma Forum Moderator
Old 08-28-2015, 04:19 AM

Hi and welcome,

What would be the ramifications of waiting? Would the treatment be as effective when she's older?

Shannon said it well with "depends on what your wishes are and how quickly you want it gone,..." It's a very personal decision.

Let us know what you decide and how things go!