Cafe au lait birthmark - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Additional Resources > General Resources

Old 12-03-2004, 09:32 PM
mummarao

Default Cafe au lait birthmark

Hi

My Daughter is 1 month old..she has light coffee color birth on forehead..our pediatriican mentioned it is Cafe au lait birth mark..
is it possible remove these birtth mark.

1. what is the best laser Treatment for Cafe au lait Birthmark ?
2. what is the Correct age we can start treatment ?

can somebody share their experience/Knowledge treating Cafe au lait birth marks...

Thanks
Rao
Old 12-03-2004, 10:53 PM
RIVKA

Default Re: Cafe au lait birthmark

Rao,

My daughter was born with this type of birthmark on the left lateral side of her calf. She is now 15, and very happy, healthy, active, etc. I have taken her to numerous dermotologists(I was born with a birthmark and was concerned hers would change), Each dermatologist echoed the same thing: These types of birthmarks generally don't cause any problems. You just keep checking on them to make sure the skin texture or color in that area doesn't change. The research that I have done confirmed this.

The only thing you should make sure of is that this is the CORRECT diagnosis. Otherwise, it coukd be problematic, although these brown patches generally aren't misdiagnosed(as far as my research goes).

Just get a second opinion, if only to put your mind at ease.

If cosmetics is a concern, you should seek out a clinic in your area, after diagnosis, to discuss options.

My daughter loves her birthmark......she thinks it is a 'chocolate kiss' from angels.

Best of luck

Rivka
Old 12-03-2004, 10:54 PM
RIVKA

By the way, is your daughter Hispanic<mine is>?
I have been told that thes Cafe au lait birthmarks are common in the hispanic population.

Rivka
Old 12-04-2004, 05:20 PM
mummarao

Thanks Rivka ...

we are South Asian...

Thanks for sharing your Experience...
Out of your experience did any Dermatologist mentioned any specific treatment for this kind of Birthmark...

sine this on her forehead ,I have little concern for costmetic resons , even it is not helath risk...
Old 12-04-2004, 06:37 PM

on the msn site someone mentioned to your post there about laser.
Their doctor does laser on cafe au lait
Corinne
Old 12-05-2004, 10:48 AM
RIVKA

Photothermal(laser) therapy for my daughter's lesion was never indicated. She only has one on her leg about 3 inches long and 2 inches wide, so cosmetics was never really a concern.

I read once that cryosurgery or dermabrasion can be used, but it leaves some scarring.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance that you not rely solely on her ped's diagnosis. (Ped's are great, but not for this.)

You should take her to a dermatoligist and make sure this diagnosis is correct. Then you should proceed. Perhaps you can even ask your Dermatolgist if he/she has patients that have gone through this, went with laser treatment, etc. This may help you in making your decision.

And definately hook up with someone on the board that has already taken the laser route. Then decide if laser would be right for your child.

P.S. I talked to my daughter about this. I asked her if she had been born with the cafe au lait on her face, if SHE would want it removed. She said no if it wasn't something that could hurt her. I was surprised, particularily since she is 15, and kids can be so cruel. She said it was part of her, part of her heritage(she is Puorto Rican and her Grandma has one, as does her Dad--for her, this makes it cool ).

Another thing she said was kids will find something to tease you about, as long as they know it bothers you, its ammo.

I guess how you approach this, if cosmetic, depends on how sensitive she is going to be about her birthmark. At this age, it's pretty hard to judge.

My daughter said she would talk to you about her birthmark if you want. She has been teased once about it(and only once), but she is so comfortable with it because of how we addressed it in our home. In her case, it makes her special.

It's a Mom's call I guess.

B'Shalom
Rivka (and Yakira)
Old 12-05-2004, 10:54 AM
RIVKA

Also, I forgot to mention, I was corrected on something via email. Cafe au lait occures MORE OFTEN in ethnicities with darker pigmentation, not just hispanics.

The cafe au lait is cause by too much melanin(skin color pigment) in certain cells. It can also be a manifestation of other things, but in those cases, I am told, there are more than one cafe au lait.

Rivka
Old 12-05-2004, 11:15 AM
RIVKA

Children's Hospital of Wisconsin has a Dermatology Clinic. You can find it here

Dermatology Clinic at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
http://www.chw.org/display/PPF/DocID/9999/router.asp

There are two doctors listed at the bottom of the page. I have heard(on this board) good things about Dr. Drolet.

I live in Wisconsin, also, and love the Docs and Staff at CHW.
They're helpful, and they explain everything.

Good luck

Rivka

Old 12-06-2004, 08:57 PM
mummarao

Rivka

Thanks for sharing your experience & useful information.
we are living in NewJersey..

I will get in touch with Doctor Team.in Wisconson Hospital.
still my baby is 6 weeks old , Iam not sure at age we can start the treatment.
since birthmark is my baby's forhead , Iam not sure* how sensitive she is going to be about her birthmark in future..

just Praying God , for good Treatment.

Say our Hi to your Daughter "Yakira" .

Have a nice day
Rao Mumma

Old 12-13-2004, 06:17 PM
smlesnak

I came upon this group b/c my daughter has a strawberry hemangioma on her face. We have had one laser surgery for it. I am replying to you though b/c my 8 year old son has a cafe au lait spot on his leg. It was about the size of my thumb when he was little, it is now larger. I have been told that they are nothing to worry about. He loves it and we told him we put our thumbprint on him when he was born b/c he was so special. He still thinks that and he thinks his birthmark is special. Because of my daughters H on her face I know how you feel and I got laser for her at 3 months b/c I don't want her to have to go through any teasing if it doesn't go away until she's 7 or so. My understanding is that cafe au laits' do not go away and if it bothers you I can totally understand why you would do laser if its possible. I would think if you want to do it it would be better to do it now when little then wait until bigger when it is more traumatic. Also I had a "stork bite" birthmark on my forehead that never totally went away, they are very light and vague but can get easier to see some times then others, i was teased in s chool about it and it was very upsetting for me. Hope this somehow helps a little,