Growing up with a PWS - Page 2 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Living with a birthmark - my story

Old 08-16-2004, 10:12 PM
Streyeder

Default Re:Growing up with a PWS

Trust me, once you find the right person, nothing will matter. I'm in college and have PWS covering my entire arm and part of my neck. I'm currently attached at the hip to a wonderful (and beautiful) girl going on 23 months now.

Anyone who can't see past your PWS doesn't deserve you, period.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:25 AM
anti

Hi,

I also have a port wine stain on my face, that covers the right cheek, my lower lip and my neck. I am now 28 and had up to now 16 laser treatment on the whole area. I have seen improvement but not the one I expected. I know now that it will never go away and I have learned to live with this. I started laser treatment at the age of 18 since when I was a child this was forbitten. Growing up with a port wine stain, believe me wasn't the greatest! But this made me a very strong person and I would not change this with anything!
Is good to hear that you are having laser treatment. Keep it on!It is wonderful that you have been having laser treatments from a young age and I recommend that you continue them as often as you can.I know that this is painfull but it is worth it.
Regarding make up, I always used and still using Maximum cover by Este Lauder. You should try it !!
I hope this is helpfull. Remember by having a port wine stain makes you better than others.
Best wishes.xxx

Old 09-18-2004, 05:15 PM

Anti,

I know exactly what you are saying, I am 22 years old and have PWS on the right side of my face, upper lip, and on the crown of my head.
I have done laser treatment since I was five years old, and to this day have why to many to count after 14 years of laser treatment off and on. I have used four different lasers and the ones they use these days do not even hurt near as much as the earlier pulse dye lasers.

But anyways when you where talking about PWS made you a better person that was all true, because I am the same way. I would not have as big of a heart now if I did not have PWS, it really does make you a better person, because of all the things we have to put up with growing up being teased becuase we are different, also the stares ane point, it just drive me nuts sometimes but you learn how to live with it.

Have a great day.

Hank
Old 09-18-2004, 07:08 PM
magan

i know what you mean too. I have the pws on my check, chin and neck. teaseing was a constant reminder growing up that i was different. it was very hard, but i know that i wouldn't have traded it for anything, because it made me who i am. i don't judge the way people look. i can be comfortable with many kinds ofdifferent diformities. i don't have it bad at all because there are so many people that have to deal was some really hard stuff all the time. i try to keep an open mind about people and there appearances and i don't think i would be able to do that without growing up with a pws and feeling like and outsider. it's helped me alot.
anyway
magan
Old 10-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Scrat

Hi
Like alot of people on here I have PWS on my face, covering almost half of it. I never had any treatment for it, and I think I wouldn't want to anyway.
Just like someone said before me, it's there for a reason. I'm 21 right now and my birthmark is a part of me. I never covered it with make up... Even when I was growing up... Still I never had problems with dating or fiding friends. I had a normal life just like every other teenager did, because I didn't let my birthmark change that.
You are beautiful, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you believe in it, everyone else will too! I'm sure there's plenty of guys out there who would love to date you, but they're too shy to come up to you.

I'm very happilly married now to a "normal" person. He doesn't know how it is to live with a birthmark, but he knows how it is to live with me. He's very proud to tell everyone I'm his wife, and my PWS doesn't bother him even one bit. Right before we got married, he told me that if it wouldn't be for my birthmark he probably wouldn't be so intrigued with me and we wouldn't have known how much we love each other.

I'm sure that somewhere in your future there's a guy that will love you even more because you have a birthmark. Keep your head up and don't let it bother you!
Old 10-06-2004, 05:18 AM
JodyY

Hi Melissa,
I completely understand everything you are feeling. I am 28 years old and I also have a port wine stain on my face. I have never been comfortable enough to go without makeup. I commend those who can. It is who you are that matters and people should be able to see the person inside, but as you said unfortunately a lot of people only look skin deep. I have recently started having IPL treatments. They are not too painful. I do not know how big of an area you are dealing with. My birthmark is only the size of a quarter. I'm not sure how effectiove the treatment is on different sizes but I don't see that there would be any difference. It would just probaly take longer . As far as makeup I have to agree with the other lady and say that the best makeup out there is Estee' Lauder maximum Cover. I have tried many other makeups such as Dermablend which is very heavy and caky. I've also tried Clarins and a few others. Maximum Cover is wonderful. Keep up with the laser treatments and always ask your Dr. about other options. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:28 PM
Newmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat
Hi
Like alot of people on here I have PWS on my face, covering almost half of it. I never had any treatment for it, and I think I wouldn't want to anyway.
Just like someone said before me, it's there for a reason. I'm 21 right now and my birthmark is a part of me. I never covered it with make up... Even when I was growing up... Still I never had problems with dating or fiding friends. I had a normal life just like every other teenager did, because I didn't let my birthmark change that.
You are beautiful, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you believe in it, everyone else will too! I'm sure there's plenty of guys out there who would love to date you, but they're too shy to come up to you.

I'm very happilly married now to a "normal" person. He doesn't know how it is to live with a birthmark, but he knows how it is to live with me. He's very proud to tell everyone I'm his wife, and my PWS doesn't bother him even one bit. Right before we got married, he told me that if it wouldn't be for my birthmark he probably wouldn't be so intrigued with me and we wouldn't have known how much we love each other.

I'm sure that somewhere in your future there's a guy that will love you even more because you have a birthmark. Keep your head up and don't let it bother you!
Hello Scrat, Yours truly was the reply that was absolutely comforting..I have a 2 month old who has a PWS on her most part of her right cheek, and as a mother, I'm trying to fight thru how best I should educate her and how to build her as a strong person. Please write more if you could, to give us a boost and tp provide us moral support.

Thanks,
Hema
Old 11-03-2004, 03:40 PM
leiden

Wow I can’t tell you how much it means to me to discover this forum and read through everyone’s experiences. I am a 25 year old woman with a Port-Wine stain covering the right side of my face. I had two PDL treatments on my stain as an adolescent. I struggled to complete the process for both monetary and moral reasons. It’s a part of me, and I wouldn’t be who I am without it. I agree that it makes our hearts and empathic abilities that much stronger. However, I am not brave enough to leave my house without makeup. Since 5th grade I have worn a variety of foundations to conceal it, and to this day I use a layer of lavender, yellow, and buff to hide the individuals spots and then cover my entire face with a skin toned foundation. Although I am quite confident with makeup on, I have a great deal of trouble trusting men who are attracted to me. I know that if they ever see me without makeup their perception will greatly change. I have had success dating, but I often feel I am compromising, thinking I should be grateful to anyone finding me attractive. I have over compensated in a number of areas, but mostly school. I was ignored in the classroom by my teachers and horribly taunted by my peers up through high school, and truly believed I was stupid. Luckily I did end up making it to college and here I have done everything in my power to demonstrate I am just as competent as anyone else. Currently I am wrapping my last year of Ph.D. coursework and am looking forward to proving everyone wrong. Although I have confidence in other areas, and would never take back my experiences, as they have shaped me into who I am today, I often wonder if I will forever be alone. Today after completing a vast amount of research, I am considering taking up an old battle with my insurance company once again and maybe continuing treatment. I am struggling with the choice as I don’t want to be a sell out, but at the same time I hate the anxiety it causes me. I do worry about it thickening and raising over the next 20 years, and thus am considering treatment more seriously theses days. However at the same time, if someone could fall in love with me now, I would have greater confidence that they loved me and not my appearance. It’s a part of us forever whether it is removed or not…we will always see it.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:47 AM

Hi Leiden,

I am sending you an email.

Hank
Old 11-11-2004, 10:19 PM
Kathryn S

Hi Melissa,
My name is Kathryn. I am 18 and I am a senior at Upper Arlington High School in Upper Arlington, Ohio. When I read you letter it was like i was reading one of my own diary entrys from 4 years ago. When I was born I had a pws on my left cheek, down my neck, and up behind my ear. The doctors told my parents it would go away by the time I was 5, but it never did. For the past 11 years I have had laser on my face, and it has helped a great deal. I stil have a little pws on my cheek, but for the most part it is gone. In my mind, i still think it is there, and in my mind it will always be there. As a kid I always got weird looks, but only a few people would come up and ask me about my birthmark. Now, as an adult, no one ever even sees it. I want to do my senior thesis on something to do with my birthmark, and you just helped me to realize what I need to do. Thank you.
~Kathryn~